Espreso. Global
Updated

Russia's July 8 missile attack: 33 killed, 121 injured as rescue operations conclude

10 July, 2024 Wednesday
15:01

On July 10, rescuers completed rescue and recovery operations in Kyiv following Russia's July 8 massive missile attack that killed 33 people and injured 121

client/title.list_title

The Kyiv City Military Administration reported the information.

"After additional examinations, the number of deaths from the missile strike on 08.07.2024 has been clarified. In Kyiv, 33 people were killed, not 34 as stated in the previous operational reports," the statement says.

First thing in the morning, the Kyiv City Military Administration reported that as of 9 a.m. on July 10, the number of killed from the missile strike had increased to 34.

Earlier, the State Emergency Service announced the completion of rescue and recovery operations.

"These were tragic, tense, and exhausting days. The enemy has once again confirmed its status of a terrorist country. Emergency rescuers and dozens of vehicles were continuously clearing the rubble, trying to save every life," the State Emergency Service added.

The State Emergency Service said that search and rescue operations in a residential building in the Shevchenkivskyi district have been completed. In total, 33 people were killed in the July 8 attack in Kyiv, including 5 children, 121 were injured, including 10 children, and 11 people were rescued.

Nearly 100 rescuers and 8 units of emergency and engineering equipment remain at the site.

As of 5:00 p.m. on July 9, the death toll from the Russian missile strike in Kyiv has risen to 33. Rescuers unblocked the body of a girl born in 2006. Emergency and restoration work is underway, the State Emergency Service said.

At the same time, the Prosecutor General's Office reported that as of 7:00 p.m., the number of victims had increased to 100.

“We know about 30 killed, including 4 children who were pulled out of the rubble of an apartment building. Seven people were killed in the Solomianskyi district, 14 in the Shevchenkivskyi district, and 9 more in the Dniprovskyi district. Seventy people were injured.”

Earlier, an Espreso.TV correspondent reported at the scene that part of the building collapsed during the rubble removal of a high-rise building in the Shevchenkivskyi district. Local residents reported that the explosion occurred yesterday morning during the first wave of shelling.

Rescuers have been working at the site since yesterday. However, on the morning of Tuesday, July 9, part of the damaged building collapsed while they were clearing the rubble. To prevent further uncontrolled collapses, emergency services are demolishing the remaining structure.

Ukraine's State Emergency Service reported another body found under the rubble at 1:04 p.m. on July 9.

According to the latest reports, the death toll in the apartment building in the Shevchenkivskyi district has risen to 12. 

Earlier, Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said at 11:37 a.m. that the bodies of two more women had been pulled from the rubble of the building in the Shevchenkivskyi district of the capital. At 12:02 p.m., he informed that the rescuers had removed the body of another woman from the rubble. By that time, there were 11 dead in the building.

According to the Kyiv City Military Administration, as of 12:15 p.m. on July 9, 31 people were killed in Kyiv as a result of a massive Russian missile attack on July 8. 117 people were injured.

According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, as of 11:25 a.m. on Tuesday, July 9, 29 people were reported dead in Kyiv as a result of Russian strikes on July 8, including 4 children. 117 people were injured, including 10 children.

On the morning of July 9, the Kyiv City Military Administration released new data: "As of the morning, 27 people were killed and 117 injured in Kyiv as a result of the missile attack."

Later, Pavlo Petrov, a spokesman for the Kyiv City State Emergency Service, told Espreso that at night, while clearing the rubble, rescuers found the body of a boy in a five-story residential building. There may still be people under the rubble.

As of 9:22 p.m. on July 8, the Kyiv City Military Administration reported 27 dead, including 3 children, and 82 injured. 

Due to the missile attack on Kyiv, damage was recorded in 7 city districts:

  • Shevchenkivskyi district

Two floors of the Okhmatdyt hospital building were destroyed. Two adults, including a doctor, lost their lives, and 10 others were injured. Several other buildings were also damaged. Efforts are currently underway to clear the rubble and search for people.

In another location in the district, one block of a multi-storey residential building was completely destroyed, while the rest were damaged. Seven people died, including 3 children, 18 were injured, and 7 people were rescued. Work is underway to clear the rubble and search for people.

An industrial facility was also damaged in the Shevchenkivskyi district of the capital. Two people were killed, 3 others were injured, and work is underway to clear the rubble.

  • Solomianskyi district

The Domino business center was damaged, two floors were destroyed, a fire broke out and was extinguished. Seven people died and 9 were injured.

  • Holosiivskyi district

A 5-storey residential building sustained partial destruction, with damage to the roof and two fire outbreaks. A total of 22 people were injured in the incident. Nearby, a preschool and garages were also damaged, and 10 cars caught fire.

  • Dniprovskyi district

Nine people were killed and 5 injured. Partial destruction of the 4-storey building of the medical center, the works are completed.

  • Darnytskyi district

A private house was damaged. 1 person was injured.

  • Desnianskyi district

Fire in a two-storey private house, it has been eliminated.

  • Sviatoshynskyi district

Five people were injured. An industrial building caught fire. Private houses and the building of the Professional Economic College were damaged.

According to the Prosecutor General's Office of Ukraine, as of 7 p.m., 23 people were killed in the attack in Kyiv, including two children who were pulled from the rubble of an apartment building. The number of injured increased to 86 people. 

In particular, 7 people were killed in Solomianskyi district, 7 more in Shevchenkivskyi district and 9 more in Dniprovskyi district. The number of injured increased to 63. All the victims are civilians, the Prosecutor General's Office emphasized.

Earlier, Mykhailo Shamanov, a spokesman for the Kyiv City Military Administration, told Espreso TV that the latest figures as of 7 p.m. were as follows: 22 people were killed, including two children, and 82 people were injured.

According to him, emergency rescue operations are ongoing in several districts, rubble is being removed, so the numbers may change. "Debris fell in 7 districts, and rescue operations are still ongoing in 3 of them. Therefore, the figures may change.

Earlier, an announcement was made by Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitschko at 15:48.

"The number of casualties in Kyiv as a result of today's enemy attack continues to increase. So far, 96 people have been injured, including three children," he wrote.

"52 of the wounded were hospitalized. Others were treated on the spot," the mayor added.

There are currently 16 injured in the Okhmatdyt hospital. Seven of them are children. 15 injured people were hospitalized.

Two victims from other districts of the capital died in hospital. 

"Also, 7 people were killed in Dniprovskyi district as a result of the fall of debris on the medical centre. There are also victims there. The building of the medical centre was damaged. Emergency services are working at the scene," Klitschko said.

Also, according to him, there are 7 preliminary deaths in a business centre in Solomianskyi district.

The mayor noted that July 9 was declared a day of mourning in Kyiv.

"On this day, flags on all municipal buildings in the city will be at half-mast. It is also recommended to lower the state flags on public and private buildings," he wrote.

Klitschko noted that any entertainment events would also be banned in the capital on this day, and called on TV channels and radio stations to make appropriate changes to their broadcasting schedules.

Tags:
Read also:
  • News
2024, Thursday
25 July
21:40
Review
Victorious news of 883rd day of war: Netherlands, Denmark to supply 14 Leopard 2A4 tanks to Ukraine, soldiers of 79th Brigade repel one of Russia’s largest assaults 
21:25
Ukrainian boxer Usyk meets with Ukraine's former army chief Zaluzhnyi in London
21:11
OPINION
Kuleba’s visit to China: Many questions, few answers
20:54
Ukraine boycotts UN Security Council meeting chaired by Russia
20:36
Exclusive
Defense Express explains whether Russia and China can build tunnel under Kerch Strait
20:20
In Mariupol, Russians plan to take over 345 more apartments belonging to Ukrainians
20:03
Russian forces intensify offensive actions in two directions - Ukraine's General Staff
19:47
Exclusive
Version with Russian neo-Nazis is implausible: SBU Major General on Farion's murder
19:31
OPINION
The world's not always black or white
19:15
Russian forces strike humanitarian aid car in Kherson, injuring driver
19:00
Ukraine launches Hochu k Svoim project for civilian hostages in exchange for collaborators
18:46
Ukraine peace talks are impossible without China, Russia - Czech president
18:33
Romania claims wreckage of Russian Shahed UAV crashed on its territory. NATO reacts
18:24
Russia attempts to push for peace talks on its own terms - military expert
18:05
Russia drops 1,500-kilogram bomb on village in Kharkiv region
17:47
Russia will take five years to capture four Ukrainian regions - UK army head
17:31
OPINION
Military expert reveals reasons behind Russia's Mi-28 helicopter recent crash
17:14
Suspect in Farion's murder detained in Dnipro
16:54
OPINION
Trump will have to reap what he sowed
16:34
UK intelligence assesses impact of Ukrainian strike on Russian Slavyanin ferry
16:17
"Ukraine expects massive missile attack due to arrival of F-16s": new Russian fake
15:56
755 Ukrainian National Guardsmen remain in Russian captivity – NGU commander
15:16
Ukraine’s soldiers of 79th Brigade repel one of Russia’s largest assaults 
14:55
Ukraine identifies 30 Russian soldiers involved in missile attacks on Kharkiv, Sumy
14:35
Ukrainian border guards evacuate four civilians from near Vovchansk
14:16
Russia takes Luhansk region's schoolchildren to Siberian camp for combat training
13:54
US could help investigate fall of Russian Shahed UAVs in Romania
13:35
UK to purchase Martlet missiles and provide part to Ukraine
13:15
Russian soldiers kill civilian in Kherson region by dropping explosives from drone
12:53
FSB agents planning terrorist attacks in Ukraine, EU detained
12:31
Russia is transferring military equipment and objects to Crimean Bridge – Atesh guerillas
12:15
Netherlands, Denmark to supply 14 Leopard 2A4 tanks to Ukraine this summer
11:53
3 Russian Shaheds cross border with Romania, 25 UAVs shot down over Ukraine
11:34
Spain to provide Ukraine with Hawk air defense systems
11:16
Russia attacks Ukraine with Shahed UAVs, injuring two people in Odesa region
10:55
All Russian equipment in Lyman sector destroyed on approach - Ukraine's 60th Brigade Commander
10:37
Review
Syrskyi’s interview, Crimea blockade as negotiation leverage. Serhiy Zgurets' column
10:16
Russian and Chinese military aircraft intercepted near Alaska
09:59
Russia loses 1,230 troops, 66 UAVs, 11 tanks in one day of war in Ukraine
09:37
Mi-28 military helicopter crashes in Russia's Kaluga region
More news