Russia has difficulties with detecting targets from missile launchers after A-50 loss
Operational Command South's press center head Natalia Humeniuk says that Russia has increased the number of drones for reconnaissance after the loss of the A-50
She said this on Espreso TV.
"Unfortunately, the activation of missile launchers is quite high now, and I say 'unfortunately' because it increases the level of missile danger. They are not necessarily guaranteed to be used, we have already seen this on the first day, but every day the enemy changes the configuration of the strike group, meaning that the missile carriers themselves alternate between submarines and surface ones. Currently, there are one surface and two submarine missile launchers on combat duty, which means 16 Kalibr missiles ready for use," the military said.
According to her, this is a difficult task for Ukrainian air defense, as submarine launches are much more difficult to detect. At the same time, Russia hasn't used Kalibrs for a long time: "They have a problem with using Kalibrs, because after using them, they will need to replenish the stock, and this can only be done in the Sevastopol Bay, and this is very uneasy.”
Humeniuk emphasized that Russia can save missiles by keeping them ready to use for targeted strikes on specific objects.
"Due to the loss of the A-50, they have a difficult situation with identifying and planning future targets for destruction, so they are intensifying unmanned aerial reconnaissance, trying to collect maximum information, but the situation is complicated by the fact that these are only frontline and adjacent to the frontline areas. So, we are now seeing such work using drone activity, which is also aimed at identifying air defense systems, their possible relocation, their direction of operation, and that is why only six Shaheds were launched last night. As a rule, this is the number that is aimed at complex maneuvering and depletion of air defense systems," she summarized.
- On January 15, Yurii Mysiahin, deputy chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on National Security, Defense and Intelligence, and sources in the Defense Forces announced that two Russian aircraft had been shot down over the Sea of Azov.
- Commander-in-Chief Valeriy Zaluzhnyi and the Ukrainian Air Force also confirmed the destruction of Russian A-50 and Il-22 aircraft.