US sceptical of claims on American-supplied weapons used in Belgorod region – State Department
Washington cannot confirm the information about the alleged use of US weapons delivered to Ukraine by the forces that invaded the territory of Russia's Belgorod region
This was stated by US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller at a media briefing on Tuesday.
According to Miller, the United States has seen some reports, which are spreading, in particular, on social media, claiming that "weapons provided by the United States were used to attack" the territory of the Russian Federation.
"I can say that we are currently skeptical about the veracity of these statements," he said.
The State Department spokesman reminded that the US position on the fighting in Russia remained unchanged.
"We do not encourage or enable strikes inside of Russia, and we've made that clear. But as we've also said it is up to Ukraine to decide how to conduct this war," Miller stressed.
On May 22, the Freedom of Russia Legion and the Russian Volunteer Corps announced that they had liberated the settlements of Kozinka and Gora-Podol in the Belgorod region of the Russian Federation as part of the creation of a demilitarized zone on the border with Russia, and that advanced units had entered Graivoron. A counterterrorism operation was introduced in the region and nuclear munitions are being evacuated.
Late in the evening of May 22, Russian media reported that administrative buildings in Belgorod had been hit by drones, including the FSB and the Interior Ministry, and that drones had also been reported to have hit administrative buildings in Graivoron and Borisovka.
On the morning of May 23, the governor of the Belgorod region of Russia, Gladkov, said that residents of the Graivoron district should not return home yet. Peskov is 'deeply concerned'
Russia claims to have killed 70 participants in the events in the Belgorod region and driven the rest into Ukraine. The Russian Volunteer Corps says it has no casualties.