Toughest situation in Avdiivka sector, Ukrainian forces repel 23 Russian attacks — General staff
Ukrainian defenders repelled 14 attacks in the areas of Novobakhmutivka, Stepove, Avdiivka and another 9 attacks near Pervomaiske and Nevelske in the Avdiivka sector
This was reported by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in its evening update.
"Russian adversary continues to ignore the laws and customs of war, uses terror tactics, strikes, and shells both military and civilian targets. Russia is actively using tactical aircraft and FPV quadcopters, conducting assault operations with the support of armored vehicles," the report says.
There were 44 combat engagements over the last day
In total, Russian army launched 6 missile and 14 air strikes, and fired 13 times from multiple launch rocket systems at Ukrainian troops' positions and localities.
Unfortunately, Russian terrorist attacks have resulted in civilian casualties and injuries. Private residential and apartment buildings, as well as other civilian infrastructure, were destroyed and damaged.
Situation at Ukraine's main frontline areas
The operational situation in eastern and southern Ukraine remains difficult.
Near the state Ukrainian border with Russia and Belarus, the situation hasn't changed significantly, and no enemy offensive groups have been detected. Certain units of the Belarusian Armed Forces are performing tasks in the areas bordering Ukraine.
At the same time, the Russian army continued shelling the entire borderline with mortars and artillery: over 15 settlements across the Chernihiv, Sumy, and Kharkiv regions were attacked.
- In the Kupyansk sector, Ukrainian defense forces repelled two Russian attacks near Synkivka and east of Petropavlivka in Kharkiv region. About 10 settlements came under artillery and mortar fire.
- Russian enemy did not conduct any offensive (assault) actions in the Lyman sector, fired artillery and mortars at more than 10 localities, including Bilohorivka in Luhansk region and Yampolivka, Verkhnekamianske, Spirne in Donetsk region.
- In the Bakhmut direction, the Ukrainian defense forces repelled three attacks near Bohdanivka, Klishchiyivka and Andriivka in the Donetsk region, where the Russian army tried to break through the defenses of Ukrainian troops. More than 10 settlements came under artillery and mortar fire.
- In the Avdiivka sector, Ukrainian army repelled 14 attacks in the areas of Novobakhmutivka, Stepove, Avdiivka and another 9 attacks near Pervomayske and Nevelske in Donetsk region, where Russian troops unsuccessfully tried to improve the tactical situation. About 10 localities came under Russian artillery and mortar fire.
- In the Marinka sector, the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue to hold back Russian forces in the areas of Marinka and Novomykhailivka in Donetsk region, where Russian enemy, with the support of aviation, tried to break through the defenses of Ukrainian troops 7 times. Russia also launched an air strike near Heorhiivka, Donetsk region. Four settlements came under artillery and mortar fire.
- In the Shakhtarsk sector, Russian enemy did not conduct any offensive (assault) actions. More than 10 localities came under artillery and mortar fire in Donetsk region.
- In the Zaporizhzhia sector, Ukrainian forces repelled seven attacks near Robotyne and north-west of Verbove in Zaporizhzhya region, where the Russian army unsuccessfully tried to regain lost ground. More than 15 settlements came under artillery and mortar fire.
- In the Kherson sector, about 10 villages and the city of Kherson came under Russian artillery fire. Russian forces also launched an air strike near Zmiivka, Kherson region.
Russian troops do not abandon their intention to drive Ukrainian units from their footholds on the left bank of the Dnipro River. Thus, during the day, Russian forces carried out 6 unsuccessful assault operations, but Ukrainian soldiers continue to hold their positions while invading Russian forces suffer losses.
The Ukrainian forces' strikes against Russian troops
Over the day, Ukrainian aviation struck 10 areas of Russian personnel concentration and 2 Russian command posts.
Missile troops destroyed an air defense system, 4 artillery pieces, an electronic warfare station and 3 Russian control points.
- On 3 January, the Ukrainian forces neutralized 780 Russian soldiers, targeted 28 artillery systems and 21 Russian armored vehicles.