Most missiles are functional: expert on ATACMS US may scrap
Valerii Riabykh, a military expert and development director of the media and consulting company Defense Express, believes that Ukraine can receive ATACMS missiles that the US plans to destroy
He said this on the Espreso TV channel.
"There are statements that the United States may dispose of many ATACMS, about 1,100 missiles of the old M39 and M39A types, which are already expiring and should be gradually disposed of. But their disposal also requires money. And it is easier to transfer these missiles to Ukraine and dispose of them on the battlefield, solving the problems that currently exist. These missiles could be used in a wide range of tasks. This argument is already being put forward in the information space. Discussion in the political environment will be in our favor," Riabykh said.
According to the military expert, Ukraine has previously received some of these missiles as part of the first ATACMS batch, which have already been used.
"These are missiles with the ability to strike at a distance of up to 165 km. They are equipped with a powerful warhead weighing almost 900 kg. There is no doubt that most of them are functional. Of course, there are different degrees of wear and tear on the missiles. It all depends on the engine charges and storage conditions. The Americans are removing these missiles on a scheduled basis in order to avoid reaching the point where the missile could pose a threat to those who use them. Experts must determine the degree of suitability," Riabykh added.
Ukraine military aid in limbo after failed US Congress vote
On December 4, the White House said that without a congressional decision, the administration would run out of money to provide weapons to Ukraine to fight Russia by the end of 2023.
After that, the Congress issued an ultimatum to US President Joe Biden regarding assistance to Ukraine: House Speaker Mike Johnson threatened to withdraw support for funding for Kyiv unless the White House agreed to strengthen border security.
On December 6, US President Joe Biden addressed the Congress and called for the defense of freedom and to ensure that Russia does not take over Ukraine. Despite this, the Senate fails a procedural vote to begin work on a bill to provide USD 106 billion in emergency aid to Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan.
On December 8, it became known that the US administration was considering including funding for anti-migration measures in the south of the country in the bill on aid to Ukraine and Israel to ensure a Republican vote in Congress.
On December 15, the White House drew attention to Russian President Vladimir Putin's recent statements about his intentions in Ukraine and urged Congress not to delay the approval of new aid for Ukraine.
Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer announces that the US Senate has postponed its Christmas recess and will vote on the aid package again.
On December 21, White House National Security Council Coordinator John Kirby said that the administration hopes to approve aid to Ukraine in early January, when Congress returns to work after the Christmas recess.
On December 29, US President Joe Biden addressed Congress after Russia's massive terrorist strike on Ukraine.
On January 4, John Kirby, the White House National Security Council Coordinator, stated that if the US Congress fails to pass a budget to support Ukraine, there might be a necessity to halt military aid. However, he assured that the presidential administration is committed to doing everything possible to ensure that Ukrainians continue to receive the necessary weaponry.