Biden announces new USD 325 million aid package during meeting with Zelenskyy
On Thursday, September 21, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy met with the US President Joe Biden in Washington, DC
Volodymyr Zelenskyy posted a video of the meeting on his Telegram channel.
"An important agreement: Ukraine and the United States will work together to produce weapons and defense systems. We are preparing the industrial base to produce air defense systems and other necessary things in co-production. Ukraine will survive this war. But we must provide reliable protection against repeated aggressions. The formula for peace - thank you for your support. Strengthening our institutions, the Ukrainian state, restoring the country after the hostilities, international cooperation - we have discussed many topics today. Our teams will work on implementing the details of the agreements," Zelenskyy wrote.
The USD 325 million aid package for Ukraine
During his meeting with Zelenskyy, Biden announced a new aid package that will include more artillery, ammunition, and anti-tank weapons. The first Abrams tanks will arrive in Ukraine next week.
The USD 325 million aid package includes:
- AIM-9M missiles for air defense;
- Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
- Avenger air defense systems;
- 50 caliber machine guns to counter Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- 155mm artillery rounds, including DPICM;
- 105mm artillery rounds;
- Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
- Javelin and AT-4 anti-armor systems;
- Over 3 million rounds of small arms ammunition;
- 59 light tactical vehicles;
- Demolitions munitions for obstacle clearing; and
- Spare parts, maintenance, and other field equipment.
"I am grateful for the new defense package. It is exactly what our soldiers need right now. We discussed the systemic strengthening of Ukraine and our defense, our defense capabilities," Zelenskyy commented on the aid package.
Biden and Zelenskyy's talks
Prior to the talks, Biden welcomed Zelenskyy to the White House and assured him that the US remains committed to supporting Ukraine in its defense against Russian invasion.
“Earlier this week at the U.N. General Assembly, I made it clear that — that no nation can be truly secure in the world if, in fact, we don’t stand up and defend the freedom of Ukraine from facing this Russian brutality and aggression," Biden said.
The US President also noted the "enormous bravery" of the people of Ukraine.
"The people of Ukraine have shown enormous bravery — enormous bravery — have inspired the world — literally inspired the world with their determination to defend these principles. And together with our partners and allies, the American people are determined to see to it that we do all we can to ensure the world stands with you, and that is our overwhelming objective right now," Biden said.
According to US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan, Washington has decided not to provide the long-range ATACMS missiles requested by Kyiv. Instead, the Ukrainian Armed Forces will receive more cluster munitions.
Zelenskyy's summary of his visit to Washington
"There is also a long-term agreement – we will work together for Ukraine to produce the necessary weapons together with the United States.
This is a new level of our unity! Co-production in the defense industry with the United States is a historic thing. A new industrial base, new jobs for both our nations. In particular, Ukraine will be able to produce air defense systems. We are preparing to create a new defense ecosystem together with the United States to produce weapons to further reinforce freedom and the protection of life together," the President of Ukraine said.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy thanked the American partners for their assistance to Ukraine.
"This will yield global positive results. Thank you, Mr. President Biden! I thank the Congress – both parties, both houses. Today, I started my day in the American capital with the Congress – with very frank, detailed conversations. I felt trust – trust that is always the basis of unity. There were clear, straightforward questions from members of the House of Representatives and senators. There were straightforward answers. There were meetings today at the Pentagon as well – important conversations about defense support. We keep working to strengthen Ukraine. Thank you to everyone who helps us! Glory to all our warriors! We will definitely prevail!" the President emphasized.
- On September 18, Volodymyr Zelenskyy embarked on a visit to the United States, during which he participated in the 78th session of the UN General Assembly, delivered an address to the Security Council, and engaged in discussions in New York with notable figures including German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, and Romanian President Klaus Iohannis. Additionally, Zelenskyy met with the President of Brazil.
- Furthermore, while in New York, Zelenskyy was honored with the Atlantic Council Global Citizen Awards, which celebrate remarkable individuals making significant contributions to global betterment.
- On September 21, during a meeting with US congressmen in the Capitol, Volodymyr Zelenskyy urged them to approve additional funding for Ukraine.
- On Thursday, Volodymyr Zelenskyy met with Pentagon Chief Lloyd Austin in Washington, DC.